BBS-OnlinePK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kevin
Street Tramp
Kevin

Awesomeness : 0

General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc. Empty
PostSubject: General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc.   General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 1:50 am

Well, I was thinking about getting abit more experience on coding and programming.

Things that help in coding a server would be favourable.
I want to get some knowledge about these things, who knows? They might be handy someday.

Not being very specific but yeah...
Back to top Go down
Sir Bob
Citizen
Sir Bob

PostSubject: Re: General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc.   General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 10:00 am

Well, what do you want to learn? You can learn graphics from Edan, embedded languages from Dick (ie. html or php) and learn Java from Matt. (I would teach you but I am a horrible teacher Razz)
Back to top Go down
Kevin
Street Tramp
Kevin

PostSubject: Re: General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc.   General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 12:59 pm

I'll start with Java from Matt then Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Matt
Admin
Matt

PostSubject: Re: General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc.   General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 3:47 am

first lesson -

1. always make a backup of every kind of file you use e.g. i have 3 backups of my source and 3 back ups of my client it comes in handy when you screw something up as i do a lot of the time lol, i had to use my backup client quite a lot yesterday for some important updates Razz

2. you will get a lot of errors while coding something in either if you have seen it on a help website such as rs or rl or if your making it yourself.. the best thing to do is not go straight to the help sections and post a help request it just bugs people... instead you look at the error and think what have you done wrong to make that happen an example:

errors are parts of code that are wrong and are incompatible with what you want them to do - sort of thing - 100 errors is the maximum you can get when compiling, its haunting when you get 100 errors but you have to think to yourself what have you just added in? was it a big piece of code? in which case delete it all and do it bit by bit compiling each time you add a bit of code
so you can see the errors as they come...

100 errors - common mistake - simply 100 errors doesnt always mean you have 100 errors it can mean you have 1 error which ruins the whole of the code generally in rsps thats just the code missing a bracket at the end of the coding or having to many at the end of coding.. some guys who release guides like to put more brackets in than necessary as an anti-leech to test people to make sure they arent just stupid kids who cant code,, best of all when you have a backup you can experiment with the codes... make them original and unique... make them interesting

lastly the most important thing when coding an rsps is to enjoy yourself because if you cant look at the stuff you make with a little bit of pride and hapiness then you are wasting your time with a hobby like this Smile

good luck mate

[EDIT] have music on when coding very helpful when trying to stay interested in something
Back to top Go down
Sir Bob
Citizen
Sir Bob

PostSubject: Re: General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc.   General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 10:43 am

Yea, whenever I code I always have music going, and I always have backups, whether it is a website or a server/client.
Back to top Go down
Kevin
Street Tramp
Kevin

PostSubject: Re: General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc.   General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 11:17 am

Good start, now to learn how to really do it.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Admin
Matt

PostSubject: Re: General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc.   General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 1:12 pm

lol the stuff i have already told you is the biggest parts to coding if u screw up them things u can lose any progress u make on a source and client
Back to top Go down
Kevin
Street Tramp
Kevin

PostSubject: Re: General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc.   General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 10:35 am

I got 'em all saved in my head.
I'd want to know how to code things, such as weapons, places, etc.

Just like I know how to code literally everything in IRC.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Admin
Matt

PostSubject: Re: General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc.   General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 11:58 am

lol you've gone from wanting the basics of java to experienced client coding knowledge to be fair i only really started learning knowledgeable things about client coding a couple of weeks ago a lot of it is still rather unusal to me im not in the place to teach that type of coding.. :/

server stuff i can do.. adding specs to weapons, bonuses for weapons, prayers etc...
Back to top Go down
Kevin
Street Tramp
Kevin

PostSubject: Re: General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc.   General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 1:15 pm

Yeh that's just about all I want to know.

So that I can do the normal things for friends who have servers while they focus on the really difficult stuff.
Back to top Go down
Richard
Street Tramp
Richard

PostSubject: Re: General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc.   General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 9:40 am

Pfft, backups are for noobs. Just download eclipse/netbeans so that you'll be able to a) pin-point errors the moment you make them and b) use conventions.
Back to top Go down
http://Quarion.org
Kevin
Street Tramp
Kevin

PostSubject: Re: General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc.   General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 11:08 am

Nerd, advice taken though.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Admin
Matt

PostSubject: Re: General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc.   General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 11:57 am

lol backups are not for noobs - noobs would rely solely on a programme to do their work for them ive used eclipse because you suggested it - it does its job well but it cannot account for a backup --- it cannot tell u wen u **** up ur cache or wen u add in wrong files -- it doesnt tell u wen u fuk up over multiple files ... stick with backups use eclipse as well as backups to get the best u can...

personally i backed away from eclipse i like the simplicity of using java files myself and letting the compiler tell me any errors Smile
Back to top Go down
Richard
Street Tramp
Richard

PostSubject: Re: General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc.   General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 4:48 pm

Graham & other top-notch PS programmers use IDE's, but your choice I suppose.
Back to top Go down
http://Quarion.org
Kevin
Street Tramp
Kevin

PostSubject: Re: General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc.   General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 3:18 am

Dick's too advanced. <3
Back to top Go down
Matt
Admin
Matt

PostSubject: Re: General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc.   General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 4:30 am

im nowhere near Graham's standard though Razz Graham knew java before coming to ps i only know certain bits which limits me to rsps but i know enough to be inventive with the stuff i know and im not afraid to make mistakes and fix them later Wink ofc everyone can have those traits its just a lot of new rsps coders just leech a source and host that calling it their own.. soo stupid in my opinion
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc.   General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Knowledge - Post/PM via MSN/etc.
Page 1 of 1